Diversity and Inclusion & at UMB
Even though UMB associates are like-minded in our approach to customer service, we are also fully committed to promoting diversity and inclusion throughout our organization. This doesn’t just mean that our people are diverse – it means that we value a diversity of ideas as well.
When each of us steps up and makes our own unique voice heard, our company unquestionably becomes stronger.
At UMB, we recognize a commitment to diversity and inclusiveness as an essential part of delivering the unparalleled customer experience.
- We build a stronger UMB by hiring and retaining talented, high-performing associates with diverse backgrounds.
- We demonstrate inclusiveness by ensuring each and every one of our associates has a voice and opportunities to share ideas.
- With our unique combined perspectives, we can be more competitive and create stronger connections within our markets.
- By better relating to our customers, we can advocate and advise according to their individual needs.
Unique perspectives add value to UMB by energizing the workplace and igniting innovation. We continuously explore opportunities to strengthen diversity, an essential component of our culture.
The Importance of Diversity and Inclusion
Everyone at UMB plays a role in ensuring that diversity and inclusion is a normal part of every day at our company. This includes our top leaders, who understand how important this is to UMB’s success:
“We recognize that supporting a culture of diversity and inclusion directly impacts how much you enjoy your job. We believe investing in diversity and inclusion builds productivity, innovation, teamwork and ultimately leads to associate retention. There is no doubt that diversity can result in better business decisions as well. When all of our unique perspectives are combined together, we can be more competitive and create stronger connections with our customers, allowing us to deliver the unparalleled customer experience for more than 100 years.” – Mariner Kemper, President and Chief Executive Officer
“The cornerstones of our UMB values are treating each other with dignity and respect, demonstrating that we care about each other and our communities, and always ‘doing the right thing.’ Those cornerstones form the foundation of my belief that everyone should be valued for their differences.” – Larry Smith, EVP, Chief Organizational Effectiveness Officer
Diversity Collaborative Partners
UMB works closely with many organizations in the communities we operate in to strengthen our diversity and inclusion efforts. The list below includes a few examples of our partnerships:
- Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Black Chamber of Commerce
- Business Leadership Network
- Hispanic Chamber
- Human Rights Campaign
- National Black MBA Association
- National Society of Hispanic MBA
- Native American Chamber of Commerce/American Indian Assoc.
- Urban Financial Services Coalition
- Urban League
- Women's Employment Network