Online Privacy Notice
Effective Date: November 10, 2020
At UMB, we value your trust and wish to be clear about the information we collect from you when you visit our websites, and the purposes for which we use it. Please note that if you are a customer of UMB, information that you provide to UMB in connection with this relationship is subject to our Privacy Notice.
Here is some information to help you navigate the sections in this notice:
- Information UMB collects from you when you use our websites
- How UMB uses your information
- Who UMB shares your information with, and why
- Links to non-UMB websites
- Further details on how we collect and use your online information
- How to opt out of online collection of data
- Special information for California consumers (including how to opt-out of sales)
- Special information for users of UMB Direct
- How UMB treats "Do Not Track" requests
- Children's online privacy
- How UMB will let you know about changes to this notice
Information UMB collects from you when you use our websites
UMB collects the following categories of information from you when you visit our website:
- Information you voluntarily provide. UMB collects information that you voluntarily provide. For example, you may provide UMB with information to request more information on UMB products or services or submit a job application. This may include identifiers such as your name, phone number, home/mailing address, email address or professional or employment-related information.
- Online information automatically collected. UMB also collects online information from you. Depending on what actions you take on our websites, this may include your IP address, device and browser type and how you use our websites (e.g., pages visited, time of visits). This is described in more detail below in the "Further details on how we collect and use your online information" section.
- Financial and commercial information. If you use UMB's online banking services, we process, via a secure portion of our websites, certain financial and commercial information (e.g., balance information, transaction information). Our use of such information is subject to our Privacy Notice.
How UMB uses your information
We use information you voluntarily provide and online information for the following purposes:
- To provide you with our products and services.
- To respond to requests you have made, such as job interest/applications, requests for more information about products and services or to interact with a UMB representative.
- To offer our products and services to you.
- To improve and enhance your experience on the websites.
- To monitor and manage fraudulent activity.
- To meet our legal obligations and protect our rights or property.
Who UMB shares your information with, and why
We may share your information collected through the websites with unaffiliated third party service providers to carry out the purposes described above. Specifically, we share your online information with third parties that are not affiliated with UMB. We do this to improve your experience on the website, provide you with relevant advertising, perform analytics and monitor and prevent fraud.
Links to non-UMB websites
We provide links to third party websites that are not controlled by UMB. If we create such a link, we will let you know by indicating these links with this symbol "
". These third-party websites may collect information, including personal information, from you. You should be aware that third parties have different privacy policies than UMB, and those third parties may treat your personal information differently than we do. UMB encourages you to review the privacy policies or statements of any website you visit.
Further details on how we collect and use your online information
As mentioned above, UMB collects online information from you by using certain tools. These tools gather information such as your type of device (e.g., smartphone, computer, tablet), IP address, browser type, domain/operating system, pages you visit and the time of visits. A brief description of some of these tools is below. However, given the changing nature of technology, we may also use other tools not described in this notice to collect online information from you.
- Cookies. A cookie is a small data file placed on your device. Your browser will generally add information to this file regarding your activity on a given website or information about your device, which can then be accessed by websites such as UMB.com.
- Web beacons. A web beacon is a small image placed on a websites that tracks how users interact with that website.
How we use your online information.
As mentioned above, your online information is used for three purposes:
- Improving your experience. UMB uses your online information to improve your experience and tailor our website to your needs and preferences. For example, online information can help UMB understand the types of browsers and operating systems users most frequently use, or how users find UMB’s websites. Understanding these preferences lets us improve our websites' look, feel, performance and functionality.
- Advertising, content and analytics. UMB uses online information to better tailor ads to you when are on our websites or other websites on the internet. This includes making you aware of our products and services that may best fit your needs. We also use online information to provide you with content – such as articles – that you may find interesting. Additionally, we use your online information to understand the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns by discovering the visuals or content most relevant to you.
- Monitoring and managing fraud. We use your online information to detect and prevent fraudulent activity on our websites.
How to opt-out of the collection of online information.
Our collection and sharing of online information allows you to enjoy the best experience on our websites and receive relevant digital ads for our products and services. If you wish to opt-out of our sharing of your online information, we encourage you to explore the settings of your device and browser, which may provide you with the ability to disable the collection of information by cookies and other tools.
Additionally, we may utilize tools provided by Google to collect online information from you. You may explore options provided by Google, such as browser add-ons‡, to disable tracking by its tools. We may also use tools provided by Microsoft to collect online information from you, and we may share this online information with Microsoft to enhance your online experience and offer relevant products and services to you. You can learn more about how Microsoft may use your online information here‡, including tools it may provide for you to opt out of its services collecting your online information.
You may also visit sites such as the Digital Advertising Alliance and Network Advertising Initiative, which provide tools to help you opt-out of your information being collected online. Additionally, we may utilize tools provided by Google to collect online information from you. You may explore options provided by Google, such as browser add-ons, to disable tracking by its tools. Please note these tools are provided by third parties that are not affiliated with UMB.
Special information for California consumers
If you are a California consumer, as such term is used in the California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA"), you have certain rights to make requests relating to personal information we collect about you.
Under California law, California consumers have the following rights with respect to their personal information:
You have the right to be notified of what categories of personal information will be collected at or before the point of collection and the purposes for which they will be used and shared.
||You have the right to request information on the categories of personal information that we collected in the previous twelve (12) months, the types of sources from which the personal information was collected, the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you, and the business purposes for which such personal information is collected and shared. You also have the right to request information on the categories of personal information which were disclosed for business purposes, and the categories of third parties for the twelve (12) months preceding your request for your personal information.
||You have the right to receive the personal information you have previously provided to us.
||You have the right to request to have your personal information deleted from our servers and we will direct our service providers to do the same. However, please be aware that we may not fulfill your request for deletion if we (or our service provider(s)) are required to retain your personal information for one or more of the following categories of purposes: (1) to complete a transaction for which the personal information was collected, provide a good or service requested by you, or complete a contract between us and you; (2) to ensure our websites integrity, security, and functionality; (3) to comply with applicable law or a legal obligation, or exercise rights under the law; (4) to otherwise use your personal information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information.
|Opt Out of a Sale
||You have a right to opt-out of the sale of personal information. We do not sell information that you voluntarily provide us, such as your name, address, telephone number or email address or information that you provide to us in connection with a customer relationship. However, as mentioned above, we share online information – such as your IP address, device and browser type – with companies such as Microsoft, Google and Facebook to improve your experience on our website and better serve you with advertising and content such as articles. To opt out of this "sale" of personal information, please see "How to opt-out of the collection of online information," section above.
How to exercise your rights. If you choose to exercise the rights described above, please do either of the following:
- Submit a request by calling our toll-free number (800.441.9535).
- Submit a request online via our Contact Us page.
If you choose to exercise these rights, we will use reasonable methods to verify your identity. Additionally, you may designate an authorized agent to make requests on your behalf.
While we take measures to ensure that those responsible for receiving and responding to your request are informed of your rights and how to help you exercise those rights, when contacting us to exercise your rights, we ask you to please do the following:
- Tell Us Which Rights You Are Exercising
: Specify which right you want to exercise and the personal information to which your request relates (if not to you). If you are acting on behalf of another consumer, please clearly indicate this fact and your authority to act on such consumer’s behalf.
- Help Us Verify Your Identity
: Provide us with information to verify your identify. If we cannot initially verify your identity, we may request additional information to complete the verification process. Any personal information you disclose to us for purposes of verifying your identity will solely be used for the purpose of verification.
- Direct Our Response Delivery
: Please provide us with an e-mail or mailing address through which we can provide our response. If you make the request by email, unless otherwise requested, we will assume that we can respond to the email address from which you made the request.
You have a right not to receive discriminatory treatment by any business when you exercise your privacy rights.
Special information for users of UMB Direct
How UMB treats "Do Not Track" requests
Some browsers may offer a "Do Not Track" option or similar setting that allows users to indicate a preference regarding online information tracking. UMB does not currently respond to Do Not Track requests, should such functionality be enabled within your browser. If we treat such requests differently in the future, we will update this Online Privacy Notice.
Children's online privacy
UMB's websites are not directed to or intended for children under the age of 13. Additionally, UMB does not knowingly market or solicit information from children under the age of 13.
How UMB will let you know about changes to this notice
UMB may change the way it collects, uses or shares information collected from you from our websites. We will inform of you of any changes by updating this notice, and will revise the effective date listed above. We encourage you to periodically review this notice to stay up-to-date on any changes.
Questions about this notice can be directed to our Contact Us page.