How does an individual contribute to their HSA?

The simplest way to contribute to the HSA is through pre-tax payroll contributions, but individuals may also write a check or transfer money from their bank account to make a lump sum contribution to their HSA. If the money comes from their bank account instead of through payroll contributions, they may deduct the amount contributed on their federal taxes using IRS form 8889‡ since those contributions would be made with after-tax money.

‡When you click this link, you will leave UMB’s Web site and will go to a Web site that is not controlled by or affiliated with UMB. We have provided this link for your convenience. However, we do not endorse or guarantee any products or services you may view on other sites. Other Web sites may not follow the same privacy policies and security procedures that UMB does so please review their policies and procedures carefully.