How does turning age 55 affect an HSA (catch-up contributions)?

Federal rules permit "catch-up"? contributions to HSAs if an individual is 55 or older, allowing an increase in annual contributions up to an additional $1,000 per year. Individuals are eligible for this extra contribution if one is 55 years or older or turning 55 anytime during that year. 

If the individual's spouse is also turning 55, the spouse cannot contribute their catch-up contribution to that individual's HSA; however, if the spouse meets the eligibility requirements, they can open their own HSA and contribute catch-up contributions to that account."