If UMB converts an MSA to an HSA and funds are not withdrawn in the process, is this considered a rollover or a trustee-to-trustee transfer? Is the amount reported on the 5498-SA?

If UMB converts an MSA into an HSA and the accountholder never has custody of the funds, the conversion is considered a trustee-to-trustee transfer and will not be reported on the 5498-SA as a new contribution. (Reference instructions to 5498-SA.‡)

‡When you click this link, you will leave UMB’s Web site and will go to a Web site that is not controlled by or affiliated with UMB. We have provided this link for your convenience. However, we do not endorse or guarantee any products or services you may view on other sites. Other Web sites may not follow the same privacy policies and security procedures that UMB does so please review their policies and procedures carefully.